BANNER CREDITS: RITUPARNA CHATTERJEE
A woman with the potential to make it big. It is not that she cannot: she simply will not.
PHOTO CREDITS: ANIESHA BRAHMA
The closest anyone has come to being an adopted daughter.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Nomenclature

At a very nascent stage I was under the impression that a doormat was called WELCOME in English. I was also under the impression that USE ME was a very apt synonym for a dustbin.

***

At a very young age I went to see my first movie in a theatre, The Dark Night was Over. I'm sure I've got the name wrong, since I cannot find it anywhere on the internet. All I remember is that it was about a blind girl.

So there I was, mystified by the aura of being in a theatre for the first time, surrounded by my classmates and teachers (yes, my school took me to a movie), groping inside my school bag for my tiffin-box and finishing my lunch as I watched the movie without understanding a lot.

As I returned home, my parents asked me about the movie. It was brilliant, I lied confidently. They asked me the name of the theatre. I was clueless. They dropped a hint - it was written somewhere on the walls, somewhere close to the doors, they said. My prodigal brain lit up - of course I knew what it was called.

"EXIT!" I exclaimed.

I shall never forget the look on their faces. It took me a few years to realise why a single word brought about so much exasperation on their looks.

***

PS: Okay, I lied about the dustbin and USE ME bit. But then, someone had said that no one should compromise on the quality of a story for the sake of trivial stuff like honesty.

***

PS 2: Okay, I lied again, it was my own quote. But then, I've made my point, haven't I?

5 comments:

  1. If you would not write PS 2 then I would definitely have asked who had said this? However, nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ami wheel er add dekhe lebur enraji bolechhilam wheel.
    baba maa ghabre gechilo eta sune.

    ReplyDelete

Followers